I must confess when I first saw this recipe I was a bit sceptical…I mean I love avocado but even I had not stuck them on a pizza as it never entered my head that they could be ‘cooked’ but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with how nice these really were, almost creamy in taste I would say.
I took this from here (last accessed 25th October 2018) and the only change I made was I only use half the ingredients as it was just for me, oh and I had sweet chilli sauce in the cupboard.
- 2 large avocados sliced (I only used 1)
- Juice of 1/2 lime optional (I didn’t use this)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 cup flour (I used less)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (Again I used less)
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used just 1 cal spray)
- Chipotle dipping sauce (Didn’t use it)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 Degrees F. Pour 1 tablespoon oil in sheet tray or baking dish; set aside. (I just used 1 cal)
- Squeeze fresh lime juice on avocado slices to preserve their color while baking (this step is optional (and I didn’t do this). Season with salt, pepper. Dredge in flour then dip in egg and coat in panko breadcrumbs. Be sure the avocado slices are coated very well in the panko.
- Place in a single layer on the greased sheet pan. Drizzle with the remaining oil or spray with cooking spray. This will help the avocado slices crisp in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the avocados are golden and crispy. If desired, more oil can be drizzle while they are baking for additional crispness.
- Serve with my chipotle dipping sauce or with ranch, ketchup, or your favourite dip (which in my case was sweet chilli)