Now this was an interesting one and the third mid morning snack which I have made. I like chickpeas, I like carrot now why would I not like this! As you can see from my images I did manage to break the spatula and learn a valuable lesson. I should add I had to work today, on a Sunday when I had allocated Sunday as my baking day, so rushing home I cracked on with baking instead of perhaps recognising how tired I was, lesson learned definitely!
This recipe can be found by clicking here. (Accessed and working 6th October 2018)
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 70-80g/2½- 2¾oz dates
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 free-range egg
- 3 pinches salt
- 1 tsp finely grated root ginger
- 1 large carrot (approximately 160g/5¼oz), grated
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Line a high-sided baking tray with baking parchment.
- Blend all of the ingredients except the carrot in a food processor until smooth and well combined.
- Add the carrot to the food processor and pulse a few times to combine, being careful not to over-blend (the carrot should provide texture and colour to this snack).
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking tray, spreading and smoothing it into an even layer using a palette knife.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until cooked through and browned on top. Remove and set aside to cool slightly, then cut into squares. Serve warm or cold. (I cooked them for 40 minutes as after 35 it still didn’t look cooked.)
Well I do actually think that they taste quite nice, however, 40 minutes was still not long enough and looking at the recipe again, although it states 30 – 35 minutes it also says 30mins to 1 hour, I will make these again and will probably leave them longer in the oven, why? See the images below!